Decluttering and moving across the country

I moved across the country two weeks ago with my husband. While there are many great things about this move, several things are not. One of them is being far away from family, and the other is packing everything up and unpacking it! While there's nothing I can do about family, I can make life a little easier by decluttering our place for the next time we move.

We already did some decluttering and held a garage sale before we moved, but there's still more clutter to work through. I'm emotionally attached to a lot of the stuff, so it's very hard to let go of. I've learned a few things from this experience, though. Here are just three.

  • I'm going to think twice about wanting more stuff. Possessions aren't what make me happy, people and experiences are. I'm going to focus less on acquiring things and more on the things that really count.
  • I'm going to say no to freebie gifts. I don't get emotionally attached to something until it's in my house. Once it's in the house, it's so much harder to say no to.
  • I'm going to deal with clutter on an ongoing basis rather than save it in piles to deal with the next time we move! It takes a little time every day to take care of mail, paperwork, clothing, etc. It will require me to set up habits and overcome procrastination. But it will be worth it if I don't have a house full of clutter. Well worth it.
It took a move across the country to get me started on my decluttering journey. Don't wait that long to start yours!

2 comments:

nora lee said...

i am continually working on acquiring less. you can't take it with you, as they say.

Holli Jo said...

Exactly! And it's extremely difficult to avoid more 'stuff,' but I'm trying.