Blog Action Day

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

Today is Blog Action Day. Bloggers around the world are posting about environmental issues with the idea that if many people talk about it all at once, we can make a difference.

My post isn't about what you should or shouldn't do in regards to our environment, because each person has to decide their feelings for this earth and how they will treat it. Each of us must decide for ourselves, and every person's answer will be slightly different.

Nor will I share how-to's or tips, because believe me, there are hundreds of posts out there today addressing those issues.

So what I will say is this - take some time and think about your feelings regarding the environment. Is there something you can do that will make a difference and improve the earth? (There are so many ideas. You can find some here and here.) Take time today to think about our earth, and then take an action - even a small one - that works for you and helps the world.

I'll tell you my action. I live in Georgia where there is currently a serious drought. They aren't sure that in four months there will be enough drinking water for the population here. So I am trying to cut my water usage by at least 10%. I take shorter showers. When it's yellow, I let it mellow. I use much less water for rinsing dishes. That is my contribution for now.

What will yours be? Don't feel that your contribution won't change the world, because it will. Every action we take makes a difference somewhere. If we each make one baby step at a time, our world will be different and better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love the ways you're helping.

Where I live, I have a great grocery store (Wegmans) that sells incredibly strong, large & attractive reusable grocery bags for $1. I bought one a few months ago, and now it's all I use. No more plastic bags for me!

The thing that pushed me to switch was hearing that our world uses nearly one million plastic bags a minute. (Some facts & figures can be found here: http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php?id=4)

WOW! It's just one of the small things I can do to help out.

Holli Jo - thanks for this post.

nora lee said...

Good post.
Fabric shopping bags are on my goal list...the one I sent you was the first one I made.
Today I bought a bit of fabric to make wash-rags. I use way too many paper towels wiping little faces and hands. I've been thinking about this for a long while.
When our baby was born I thought about going to cloth diapers, but my husband pointed out all the water I would use washing them and how that would be detrimental to our desert environment.
Just my environmental thoughts...

Jamie said...

i LOVE what you've been writing. I feel really passionate about doing things as individuals whether they are small changes like using cloth shopping bags or big changes that some people make like no longer driving vehicles. I'm a member of the sierra club and my parents totally freaked out when they found out. They think that do be environmentally aware, or an "environmentalist" is the way of the world and that you must be a major hippie or liberal or something. It's totally ridiculous. We can all make changes that not only improve our environment and our quality of life, but there's a lot of joy to be found in those changes and knowing that you are not contributing to more waste.

Anonymous said...

I've just nominated Evolving Blueprint as one of my 5 blogs that make me smile. You can check it out here. Thank you for writing such a great blog. Keep up the good work :-)

Holli Jo said...

Wow, thanks for your comments, everyone!

Megan - the reusable bags are a great idea. I've thought about it myself; it would really make a difference.

Nora Lee - I use too many paper towels too. Using dishtowels would be a much better choice for me. And I'm not a mom yet, but I've considered cloth diapers for when I become one...we'll see.

Jamie - that's so funny about your family thinking you're some hippy for caring about the environment. I think my mom probably feels the same way. And there is a lot of joy in making a difference!

AmyPalko - Wow! My blog has never been nominated for anything before. I feel honored. Thanks for making my day. :)