How to discover your passion

This is part two in a series on how to discover and live your passion and life purpose.

I think we all desire to follow our dreams and live our passion. When you live your life with purpose and passion, you have peace and joy in knowing you are doing what you are meant to be doing. But what if you don't know what your passion is?

There are several things to consider when discovering your passion and life purpose. Take some time to think about the following questions. You may want to write your thoughts down so you can see your ideas on paper.

First, brainstorm about the things you enjoy and would spend your time on if you could:

  • If money didn't matter, what kinds of things would you do with your time?
  • Is there an idea, hobby, or thing that you LOVE to think about or talk about?
  • What is one thing you would regret not doing if you found out you were dying?
  • Is there something you did when you were younger that you wish you hadn't given up?
  • What kinds of things challenge and interest you?
  • What things bring you the most joy?

You should also take some time to list your strengths:
  • What are the things you are good at?
  • Are there any skills you get complimented on?
  • What areas do you feel confident in?

After writing some ideas down, you may start to see ideas and interests that keep coming up. If so, you may have stumbled upon some of your dreams and passions. Now it's time to take some action. You don't yet know for sure which ideas will work the best for you, so you have to try them out:
  • Take a risk - Try taking a step toward one of your interests. For example, if one of your ideas was to become a great cook, sign up for a cooking class or check out a book on cooking from the library.
  • Volunteer - Try volunteering in an area you think you may enjoy. There are many volunteering opportunities that will allow you to try out your interests. You may find your passion! And you may also find some useful contacts in the process.
  • Remember that finding your passion can be a trial and error process, so don't be afraid to try something out or try something you've never done before. You may not discover your passion; but you just might.

Finding your passion and life purpose is not an easy process. It takes a fair bit of soul searching, trial and error, and enough courage to try new things. Don't be discouraged if you don't discover your life purpose right off - you will find it! It will probably come to you when you least expect it.

For me, finding my life purpose was a process that took many years. (And I'm assuming that life purpose changes over time, so it's a process that lasts your whole life.) I tried about fifty different majors in college because I had so many interests. It took me a lot longer to graduate, but it was worth it to find the right major for me - Humanities. And the best part is that I took a great many interesting classes that I wouldn't have taken otherwise if I had known as a freshman what I wanted.

I guess what I'm saying is - it's a great thing to find your life purpose and passion, but it's also great to enjoy the journey. Explore different options, try new things. Enjoy the things you learn and the people you meet on the way to discovering your passion!

Part one in this series gives a general overview of living a life of passion. Part three will focus on how to live with passion and purpose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice, Holli Jo! One thing which I did recently, whilst trying to discover my passion, was to ask some of those closest to me what they thought I did best. It was a real eye-opener and I can strongly recommend it!

Holli Jo said...

amypalko - That is a great idea to ask your closest friends and family! That's kind of a scary prospect to find out what they think, but they probably see things about us that we don't.

Great suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Hi Holli Jo
I hope you get this message...do you have any contact info. I'd like to talk to you about possibly using your article on passion on surewoman.com --thanks, dawn